This blog was initially set up as a means of communicating with my son's team. Since then, I've heard from other parents with similar stories. If you are living with challenges or journeying alongside someone who is, you are not alone. There are many of us. I'm a single adoptive Mom (http://richesofsimplicity.blogspot.com/) of a young man who lives with many abilities and many diagnoses. We have journeyed together through many challenges and a few adventures over the years as my son has tried to find space in this world that makes him feel more comfortable, an attempt made especially difficult when living with Attachment Disorder, PDD-NOS (Autism), Developmental Coordination Disorder, ADHD, prenatal substance exposure, etc. Some of the strongest elements used in this journey have been music, visual arts, therapeutic parenting, team-connection, boundary-setting, boundary-setting, boundary-setting, communication skills, community-building, continual lifeskills training, and elements of Theraplay. (Click here for some written resources.) On this journey, there is laughter and tears and growth and hope. The greatest of these is hope.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Bedtime and Age Quandry

I was away for the weekend; a lovely weekend of music and storytelling and friends and walks and camping.

As often happens, I wasn't even inside my house when my neighbour (she provides respite) came out. She informed me that Chef was still up, and that he'd been up til after 10 each night and the first up each morning.


Once home, Chef complained to me that he had to stay up late because he couldn't go to bed at his regular time because my neighbour doesn't want him upstairs on his own in case he goes through their stuff/steals.

Ten o'clock is definitely not an unusual bedtime for a 15-year old.

On average, Chef usually starts asking to go to bed around 9pm, sometimes 8pm. There are times when he stays up later, but he usually seems to find it even more difficult to focus in the mornings if he's stayed up later.


This morning was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment